School closure, delay and early dismissal due to weather, road
conditions and power outages are always a possibility in North Kitsap.
Road conditions may vary in different parts of our district so parents
and guardians should always use their own discretion in determining
whether to send children to school or pick them up early if they feel
conditions in their particular area are not safe.
safety is our number one priority and many of our parents/guardians are
not able to return home from work to meet their children, our district
will only dismiss students early from school in extreme situations.
Parents should have a back-up plan if this happens. In the event of
worsening weather conditions, the district may decide to release and
transport secondary students (grades 6-12) early so that buses are ready
to pick up elementary students at the scheduled time.
Download a copy of the printable Inclement Weather Notice: Inclement Weather Notice
Types of Closures or Delays:
- If school is closed, all out-of-district transportation, meetings,
field trips, after-school activities, practices will be canceled for the
day unless otherwise announced. All evening meetings/functions
scheduled to take place in district facilities will also be canceled.
Two-Hour Delay - If there is a two-hour delayed start, the following schedule changes will apply:
- Buses will run 2 hours late
- No Morning Kindergarten or Preschool
- No Breakfast Program
- No Out-of-District Transportation
- No Elementary Band
- No Secondary Zero-Hour Classes
- In extreme conditions, school may be closed after the district has
announced a two-hour delay due to further deterioration of the weather
or students may be released early. Parents should have a back-up plan if
this happens. The district may decide to release and transport
secondary students (grades 6-12) early so that buses are ready to pick
up elementary students at the scheduled time.
Closure, Delay, Dismissal Communication:
In the event of school closure, delay or dismissal
- Phone Alert
- Parents will receive an automated phone call to their designated
primary phone number in the event of school closure, delay, or early
dismissal. Calls are initiated by 6:00 am when possible.
- Website - School closure and delay information may be found on www.nkschools.org and www.flashalert.net.
- All Parents/Guardians with an email in Skyward will receive an email
from the district via SchoolMessenger, our email notification system.
If you do not have your email listed with your student in Skyward,
please contact your school to have it added.
- Text Alerts - You may sign up for text message alerts from KING 5 News or Flashalert. These services are not sponsored by North Kitsap School District.
- Facebook - Inclement weather notifications will be posted on the NKSD Facebook page.
- Radio stations such as KITZ 1400 AM, KIRO 710 AM, KRPM 1090, KOMO
1000 AM, KPLU 88.5, KUOW 94.5, KJR 95.7, and KLSY 92.5 and local
television stations KOMO TV 4, KING TV 5, KIRO TV 7, and KCPQ TV 13 will
be announcing schedule changes by district name after 6 a.m. Schools
will be operating on normal schedules if no announcement is made.
- Emergency Information Line - You may call (360) 396-3993 for the latest information on closures and delays.
Alternate Bus Stops:
bus stops may be used during inclement weather. Transportation Services
will send out an phone alert if your bus stop has been changed. You may
reach Transportation Services at (360) 396-3099 regarding alternate bus
stops or delays in service.
Picking up or sending your child home early:
you would like your child to come home early because they walk or drive
home on their own, you may either call the school office to give
permission or your child may call you from the school office.
For information on Kitsap County winter storm preparation and shelter information, click here